Afflington appears in five entries in the Domesday Book.
There was a flourishing village at Afflington in connection with the marble and stone industries of the Later Medieval period to which Henry III granted a market and a fair in 1270 (Legg 1989: 13).
The manor house is believed to date from 1620 and was extensively remodelled during Victorian times. Rupert Scott put the property on the market with FPD Savills in 2004 for an estimated £2.25 million.
Farmworker cottages in the manor grounds (shown below) have been converted to holiday lets (let as Affington Manor Cottage & Afflington Manor Lodge). In the early 1900’s the painter, Augustus John, is understood to have stayed regularly at the cottage.
- Family wins approval for manor house work (2003)
- Victorian stairs to be ripped out (2004)
- Manor farm up for sale (2004)
The following postcard view shows the Afflington Farm buildings from the southern side.
Afflington Lookout is not at Afflington but is on the Kingston to Langton Matravers road overlooking Afflington.
Afflington Lookout Barn
See 1939 Register – Afflington for registered residents as at 29 September 1939
Page last updated: 19 February 2016