1889: Fatal accident to Mr. F. C. Candy

On Wednesday night about eleven o’clock Mr. Frederick Charles Candy, in company with Mr. Dennis Dorey, were returning from Swanage to Kingston, the latter driving a spirited horse in a two-wheeled trap. They pulled up at the Eldon Arms, the home of Mr. Candy, and Mr. Dorey alighted, leaving Mr. Candy in the trap. He had barely tucked the reins through the ring of the pad when the horse moved on, slipping on the frosty ground, and started off at once. Mr. Dorey held on to the bridle for about 100 yards, when the shaft struck him in the mouth and knocked him down and the wheel went over him. The horse at the time was galloping at a furious rate and near the rectory gate Mr. Candy was thrown out against the wall. Dr. Hawkins was summoned from Corfe, but on his arrival deceased had been dead some time. Fuller details of the sad catastrophe were elicited at the inquest which was held on Thursday, at the Eldon Arms Inn, before Mr. Henry Symonds (deputy-coroner), and a jury, of whom Mr. Medd was foreman. The body having been viewed, the following evidence was adduced : –
Dennis Dorey said he lived at Barnstone and was a farmer. On Wednesday evening he and deceased went to Swanage together. Witness drove a horse in a two-wheeled trap. They left Swanage about half-past nine, and everything went well till they got back to Kingston. Then witness pulled up and got out of the trap, leaving deceased in it. Miss Candy was standing at the door. Witness intended returning home in the direction of Corfe Castle, and the horse’s head was turned that way. They both intended to get out of the trap at Kingston. Witness had just got down and tucked the reins through the ring of the pad, when the horse (a young one only broken in this winter) moved on, slipping on the frosty grounds, and started off at once. Nothing happened to startle the horse. Witness held on to the bridle for over 100 yards, when the shaft struck him in the mouth and knocked him down and the wheel went over him. When he fell the horse had got into a gallop. He did not think deceased tried to get out of the trap, nor did he cry out. Miss Candy ran after them. When witness fell the horse broke away, and a little way further on (close to the rectory gate) the trap struck against the stone wall. He did not see what happened, but he was not insensible. With the assistance of Miss Candy he went to the inn. The horse had never bolted before, and had stopped there scores of times.

Elizabeth Candy said her brother (the deceased) was 22 years of age and had been managing the Eldon Arms for her father. About a-quarter to eleven on Wednesday evening Mr. Dorey and her brother returned, driving up to the front door first and then across to the stable. She afterwards saw Mr. Dorey trying to hold the horse, which was endeavouring to break away. It was too dark for her to see her brother, but she ran down the hill and saw Mr. Dorey knocked down, and the horse run up against the wall. She picked Mr. Dorey up and helped him home, and then, in company with P.C. Ellis, went to look for her brother. Mr. Dorey appeared to be perfectly sober, and nothing she saw led her to believe they were not fit to look after the horse. The horse was young and she had frequently ridden behind it.

Richard Frost deposed to hearing the young men return, and to following Miss Candy and P.C. Ellis to where deceased was found.

P.C. Ellis said about a-quarter to eleven on the evening in question he was near Afflington barn, and the two young men passed him on their way to Kingston, and said. “Good night;” the horse going at a good canter. When he got to within 200 yards of the Eldon Arms he heard a trap going at a tremendous pace down Kingston hill. He saw Miss Candy leading Mr. Dorey, who was holding a handkerchief to his face. Miss Candy came out again in a few minutes with a candle, and they picked up two hats, and then went on to look for Mr. Candy. About 60 yards from the Eldon Arms on the right hand side of the road they saw the trap, and, putting his light under it, they saw deceased lying on the ground between the gutter and the wall. The horse and harness had clean gone and only a slight splinter was off the shafts. Deceased was entangled in the step of the trap. Witness felt his pulse and found he was quite dead. There were very severe injuries about the head and a large quantity of blood about, which ran down the gutter a long way. Deceased’s left ear and eye and mouth were injured. With assistance he afterwards got deceased home.

The Coroner briefly summed up, characterising it as a very sad accident, which they all deplored.

The jury returned a verdict of “Accidental death,” and generously gave their fees to the Dorset County Hospital.


The funeral took place on Monday afternoon, when a large concourse of friends from far and near attended to pay a last tribute of regard and esteem to one so highly respected and beloved. The cortege left the Eldon Arms for the old parish church shortly after two o’clock, and besides the immediate relatives considerably over one hundred followed. The mournful procession included Mr. and Mrs. George Candy, their second son and daughter, their third son and daughter, Mr. Charles Candy and daughter (Bournemouth), Mr. Lewis Ash, Mr. And Mrs. Frost, Master and Miss Dorey, Mr. T. Cooper (Messrs. Devenish and Co’s. representative), Mr. H. W. Green (stationmaster, Corfe Castle), Captain Harrison, Messrs. F. Yearsley, F. Hibbs, Speed, G. Hobbs, Dorey, James Whittle, G. Elmes (Wareham), C. Smith (Arne), Caines and Son (Renscombe, J. Snook and Son, H.Stickland, Cleal, W. Stevens, W. Moss, T. Vye, S. Moss, Shittler. T. Luther, A. Stickland, Pople Gillman, J. Williams, Senior, E. Smith (Corfe Castle). W. H. Burt, W. Linnington, King (Herston). R. Hayman (Dorchester), Smith (Eastington), A. Burbidge (Swanage), F. Jackson (Encombe), R. E. Pinney (Backnowle), J. Hughes (Kingstone), and many others. At the church the funeral party were met by the Rev. S. C. Spencer-Smith, who conducted the service. On entering the sacred building the choir, under the leadership of Mr. W. Dorey, organist, sang the hymn “When our heads are bowed in woe”, and, after the solemn service had been performed, hymn 197. The procession was reformed and proceeded to the newly consecrated piece of ground, where the body was interred. The corpse was conveyed on a hand bier, supported by six men from Lord Eldon’s estate, and a large number of wreaths and crosses were presented. Among those sending these floral offerings being Mr. A. Burbidge, Miss Danilly, Mr. And Mrs. F. Jackson, Mr. Smith, Mr. And Mrs. C. S. James (London), Mrs. Evans (Dorchester), Mr. And Mrs. Green (Corfe), Miss Vincent (Victoria Hotel, Swanage), Mr. R. Cann (Wareham), Mr. F. Hibbs, Mr. G. Hobbs, Mr. E. Penna (Clapham), Mr. Bulpitt (Southsea), Mr. T. Cooper (Abbotsbury), Mr. D. Dorey (Barnstone), Mr. J. Uphill (gardener, Encombe House), Dr. Woodford Daniel (Wareham), Mr. George Whittle (Wareham), Mr. And Mrs. William Merson (Bournemouth), Mrs. Hoare (Swanage), Mrs. Frost (Kingston), and others. The inscription on the coffin was “Frederick Charles Candy, died January 2nd, 1889. Aged 22 years. Many letters of condolence were received from friends, who for various reasons were unable to attend the funeral. The late Mr. Candy was a great favourite with all who knew him, and much sympathy is felt with Mr. And Mrs. Candy and the family in their sad and sudden bereavement.

Dorset County Chronicle, 10 January 1889

Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.