Frederick Frances Audley (1868–1939) = Martha Ann Smith (1875–1956)

Frederick was the eighth child of Thomas John Audley and Sarah Audley nee Keats. He was baptised on

Frederick married Martha Ann Smith (1875–1956) . Martha

Frederick and Martha had six children:

Frederick died in 1939 and Martha died in 1956.

Children of Frederick & Martha:

1. Herbert Francis Audley (1896-1963)

Herbert

2. William John Audley (1900-1929)

William

3. Frederick George Audley (1902–1982)

Frederick

4. Sydney Charles Audley (1903-1967)

Sydney

5. Winifred Florence Audley (1907-1958)

Winifred

6. Gertrude Amy Audley (1910–1991)

Gertrude

This page is under construction

Page last updated: 26 June 2017

Vicars

Revd. Spencer Compton Hamilton Spencer-Smith (1842-1911)

Vicar 1877–1911
Died May 1911 age 68 and buried at Kingston St. James (new church)

Revd. Arthur Wilson Napier (1871-1955)

Vicar 1911–1916
Arthur married Isabel Margaret Gilchrist (1884-1957) at Westminster in 1909 and they had two sons Lennox William Napier (1912-2001), a submarine commander, and John Morrilyon Napier (1915-1941) both born at Kingston. Sadly John, who had been awarded the Military Cross, was killed in action in Libya during World War 2. Arthur retired to Boldre Hill, Lymington, Hampshire.

Revd. Raymond Alured Bond (1873-1941)

Vicar 1916–1927
Raymond was the son of Nathaniel Bond of Creech and Lady Selina Jane Bond neé Scott, daughter of John Scott, Third Earl of Eldon. He was educated at Eton and Trinity Hall, Cambridge. He married Mildred Glyn (1874-1963) at Wincanton, Somerset on 4 October 1899. Raymond and Mildred had two children Ashley Raymond Bond (1902-1975) and Margaret Selina Bond (1908-1984). Immediately prior to arriving at Kingston, Raymond had been Rector at Blandford Forum, Dorset. Raymond left Kingston in 1927 to become Vicar at Iwerne Minster, Dorset. He died in 1941.

Revd. Ben Darcey Beeley (1875-1958)

Vicar 1928-1929
Married to second wife Eileen. Left to become Rector at Foot’s Cray, Sidcup, Kent. Subsequently moved to Kincardine O’Neil.

Revd. George Cecil Augustus Smith (1877-1964)

Vicar 1929–1931
Died 29 February 1964

Revd. Frederick Seymour Horan (1870-1956)

Vicar 1932–1938
Seymour died in 1956

Revd. Malcolm de Burgh Scott (1884-1963)

Vicar 1938–1945
His wife was Mildred Mary Amande Scott nee McCreery (1875-1959)

Revd. Canon John Hartforth Jaques (1870-1948)

1925_canon_j_h_jaques
Vicar 1945–1947

Revd. William Henry Ryder-Jones (1916-1995)

Vicar 1948–1949
Came to Kingston from Paignton where ha had been Assistant Priest.

Revd. Benjamin Ewart Payne (1893-1956)

Vicar 1950–1956
Benjamin married Ruth Thomasine Davies (1893-1973). Their daughter Helena Kenwyn Payne (1924-2011) married Barry Stuart Candy (1922-2004) , son of Walter Emanuel Candy (1873-1968)
Died 1956 – buried at Worth Matravers

Revd. A Caulfield-Browne

Vicar 1957–1960

Revd. Harry James Lloyd

Vicar 1960–1983
Married Maidie in 1945 and had two sons Adrian and Christopher. Subsequently moved to Presteigne, Powys. Now retired.

Revd. John Stuart

Vicar 1984–1990

Revd. Robert Newman Kingsley Watton (1945-2004)

rob watton
Vicar 1991–2003
Married Louise in 1982 and had three daughters. Died 4 Aug 2004 aged 59 – buried at Kingston St. James (new church).


In the latter part of 2003, the Bishop of Salisbury suspended the living of Kingston. The benefice is now combined with Langton Matravers and Worth Matravers


Revd. Judith Malins

judith malins cropped
Priest-in-charge 2004–2010
Married to Ken with two sons David and Jonathan, and a daughter Rebecca.
Moved to Redhill, Wrington, Somerset as Assistant Priest.

Revd. Gaynor Burrett

revd gaynor burrett
Priest-in-charge 2011–
If you have any further information, memories, photographs etc. about any of the clergy who have served at Kingston then please contact us.

Page last updated: 10 August 2016

1938: The Late Mr. Gilbert V. Dorey

Three former vicars of Kingston (Corfe Castle) attended the funeral service at St. James’ Church, on Saturday afternoon, of Mr. Gilbert Victor Dorey, who for over 30 years had been organist at the church. The interior of the building which deceased knew and loved so well, still bore its Christmas decorations, as the coffin, borne by four senior employees (Messrs. Gerald Loxton, Charlie Orchard, George Hunt and Jesse Marsh), of the Encombe Estate, was carried into the church, the cortege being preceded by the choir, with the congregation joining in the hymn, “Peace, perfect peace.” As the cortege left the church the “Nunc Dimittis” was chanted.

The Vicar (the Rev. M. de Burgh Scott) conducted the service, assisted by the Rev. F. S. Horan (the former vicar). Mr. Charles Pond was at the organ.

The principal mourners were the widow, Mrs. C. Clark, Mrs. G. Randall, Mrs. E. Brake, and Mrs. W. Neale (sisters), Mr. A. Dorey and Mr. R. Dorey (brothers), Mr. C. Dorey, Mr. W. Randall, Mr. and Mrs. P. Hann, and Miss O. Dorey (nephews and nieces), Mr. G. Dorey, Mr. and Mrs. E. Dorey, and Mrs. W. Smith (cousins). Mrs. F. Dorey, Mrs. A. S. Dorey, Mrs. A. Dorey, Mrs. W. Dorey, and Miss Jukes (sisters-in-law), Mr. and Mrs. F. Cooper, Mr. and Mrs. L. Turner, Mr. J. Marsh, and Mr. and Mrs. Donald Barnes.

Mr. W. Dorey (eldest brother) was unable to attend owing to illness.

Included among those present in the church were Archdeacon Smith and the Rev. Raymond A. Bond (former vicars), Mrs. M. de B. Scott, Mrs. F. S. Horan, Mrs. Raymond A. Bond, Mrs. Fenwick-Owen, Captain J. Docrwa Rogers, Mr. Walter E. Candy (agent to the Encombe Estate), and Mr. E. A. Hixson, together with many estate employees and villagers.

The large number of wreaths included tributes from the bellringers, choirmen, boys and girls, and sidesmen of St. James’ Church, Kingston, Mr. W. E. Candy (agent), and Messrs. Hixson, Loxton, Gale, and Marsh (senior employees), Estate and farm employees, Kingston ex-Service men and Kingston Women’s Institute.

FLORAL TRIBUTES.

The beautiful floral tokens included the following:- In ever-loving memory of my darling Husband, from his sorrowing Wife; Cecil and Ron (sons); Charlotte and family; Bessie and family; Jennie and Ernest; Lou and George (Canada); Mabel and Will and Phillip; Walt, Gert, and Marjorie; Alf, Rose, Fred, and Iris; Bob, Bet, Grace, and Betty; Art, Irene, Olive (nephew and nieces); Annie, Agnes, and family, Charlie, Kath, Michael; Lot, George, Nance, Ern and Rose, and Amy (cousins); Alice (sister-in-law); Ben, Fred, and Frank (brother-in-law and nephews); Walt and Ern (brother-in-law and sister); Bert and family (brother-in-law and sister); Vicar and Mrs. Scott; Rev. Raymond and Mrs. Bond and Miss Margaret; Mr. and Mrs. A. Cooper and family; Mr. and Mrs. W. Stickland; ”Eldon Arms,” Kingston; Mr. and Mrs. F. Tatchell; Mrs. Allen, Corfe Castle; Mr. and Mrs. P. Damer and Nellie; Mrs. N. Phillips; Mr. and Mrs. D. Barnes; Rhoda and Will; Ronald and Hubert; Jack.

Mrs. Dorey and family sincerely thank the many friends who have expressed sympathy and sent floral tributes in their bereavement.

NATIVE OF THE VILLAGE.

The late Mr. Dorey passed away at his home, 3, West-street, Kingston on Tuesday, after a fairly long period of ill-health, although his last illness was of short duration. Aged 51 years, he was a native of the village, and throughout the whole of his working life had been employed on the Encombe Estate. As far as the communal spirit of the village was concerned Mr. Dorey was one of the greatest stalwarts. His greatest interest was in the church, which he served faithfully for 44 years, as choirboy from the age of seven and upwards of 30 years as organist and choirmaster. He also lent a hand at bell-ringing, and at times he rang regularly for fairly long periods, in spite of the calls made upon his time by other church duties. As a tribute to his memory the bells were rung half-muffled following the committal on Saturday afternoon.

A KEEN MUSICIAN.

A keen musician deceased could play a number of instruments and for many years was one of the leading members of the Kingston Village Band. He was also interested in the many social functions which have produced such a happy village life at Kingston, and he was ever ready to lend a hand in whatever direction the call was made. Only a fortnight before his death he took part in a play in the village hall, while it may be recalled that just 12 months before his passing – on December 26th 1937 – he was one of the Kingston Players taking part in Thos. Hardy’s “The Three Strangers,” broadcast by the B.B.C.

Mr. Dorey leaves a widow and two sons aged 13 and 9, with whom much sympathy is felt.

Western Gazette, Friday 6 January 1939

 

1936: Kingston Church Worker – The Late Mr. T. E. Joyce

A RECORD OF FAITHFUL SERVICE

By the death of Mr. Thomas Eastman Joyce, at the age of 71, the parish of Kingston has lost one of its oldest and most respected inhabitants. When he was rather suddenly taken ill at the end of November it was a great shock to his family and friends, for up till that time, he had seemingly enjoyed his full health and vigour, and although he had to enter Boscombe Hospital, high hopes were entertained for his recovery, but he was unable to overcome the effects of two operations and passed peacefully away on the morning of 28th December. Mr. Joyce was a native of Kingston, and, but for a few years when he was in business at Swanage, had lived and carried on the business of his father in the village all his life. Through his business, social activities and the generosity of his nature, he had earned for himself an almost unique position, but it is as a churchman that he will chiefly be remembered, for he had fulfilled every official lay position from choir boy to churchwarden, and despite business and social claims, his Church was paramount in his life. He was also a school manager.

THE FUNERAL

The funeral took place at Kingston on Thursday, a large congregation attending.  The service, conducted by the Vicar (Rev. F. S. Horan) assisted by the Rev. R. A. Bond, a former Vicar, was fully choral, and commenced with the “Dead March” in “Saul” (organist, Mr. G. Dorey), as the remains had rested in church overnight, when the opening part of the service was taken. Two of Mr. Joyce’s favourite hymns, “I heard a Voice,” and “Abide with Me,” were sung. The Lesson was taken from Revelation, 7-9.

The Vicar in his address spoke feelingly of the generosity of Mr. Joyce’s nature and the steadfastness of his character, and of the great service he had rendered to his church and village.
The coffin was borne to its last resting place as the choir sang the Nunc Dimittis. At the conclusion of the service the bells were rung half muffled by the village ringers, conducted by Mr. W. Hooper.

The family mourners were: – Mrs. Joyce (widow), Mr. and Mrs. Braisby, Mr. and Mrs. Stride (sons-in-law and daughters), Mr. Harry Joyce (brother), Mrs. Bailey (sister), Mr. F. Wort (nephew), Miss Wort and Miss A. Joyce (nieces), Mr. W. Baker (cousin), Mrs. Ashford (friend), and Mr. Tom and Bert Bullen (employees).

Among the many others present were: – The Hon. Sir Ernest Scott, K.C.M.G., M.V.O. and Mr. A. G. Loxston (fellow churchwardens), Messrs. G. Hunt, C. Orchard and E. Dorey (sidesmen), Mr. W. E. Candy, Rev. C. Smith (former Vicar of Kingston), Dr. Dry Drury and Miss Drury, Rev. and Mrs. Godson, Mrs. R. A. Bond, Mr. and Mrs. G. Bartlett, Messrs Charles Stride, A. Curtis, N. Phillips, J. Marsh, T. Seymour, W. G. Marsh, A. Moss, T. Hibbs, Woodford White, Hill-Brown, G. Edgar, Bert Hunt, Pushman, R. Ballam, Bridle, E. A. Hixson, Capt. Dowera Rogers, Mrs. George Smith, and Mrs. F. S. Horan.

FLORAL TRIBUTES

Floral tributes, many and varied, were received from: – Wife and family; Cynthia and John (grand-children); Mr. and Mrs. Harry Joyce (brother); Mrs. Smith and family (sister); Mrs. J. Wort and family (sister); Mr. and Mrs. Linn Joyce and family (nephew); Miss Ada Joyce (niece); Mr. and Mrs. W. Baker and Francis (cousins); Mr. and Mrs. Aubrey Baker (cousins); Misses N. and B. Braisby and Mrs. Ashford; Mr. and Mrs. Filewood; Miss. E. Butcher; Mr. and Mrs. R. E. Ashford; Miss Nellie Stride: Mr. Tom and Mr. Bert Bullen; The choir and bellringers; Sir Ernest Scott; Rev. and Mrs. Horan; Rev. and Mrs. R. A. Bond; Rev. and Mrs. B. D. Beeley; Mr. and Mrs. W. E. Candy; Dr. Dru Drury; Mrs. Loxston; Mrs. Bartlett and family; Mrs. G. Smith and Miss Bowden; Mr. and Mrs. C. Orchard, Ken and Joan; Mr. and Mrs. A. Bates; Mr. and Mrs. J. Beavis and family; Mrs. Bertie Bullen; Mr. and Mrs. F. Bullen and Fred; Henry, Kate, and Charlie Bullen; Mr. and Mrs. E. Dorey and family; Mrs. A. Dorey and family; Mr. and Mrs. Damer and family; Mr. Dawson Damer; Mr. and Mrs. W. Hooper and Mrs. Bridle; Mr. and Mrs. C. Brown; Mr. and Mrs. G. Edgar and family; Mr. and Mrs. Phillips; Mrs. Honeybun and Nora; Mr. and Mrs. Davis; Kingston Women’s Institute; Mr. and Mrs. J. E. Turner; Miss Vinney; Mr. and Mrs. Newbery (Corfe); Mrs. Sansom and Mr. E. J. Sansom; Mr. and Mrs. Everett; Mr. and Mrs. Hare.

The funeral arrangements were carried out by Mr. E. J. Sansom, of Wareham.

Mrs. Joyce and family desire to thank their many friends for kind expressions of sympathy in their bereavement, and also for the beautiful flowers sent.

Western Gazette, Friday 8 January 1937