Home | Afflington | Blashenwell | Church (new) | Church (old) | Encombe House | Hill Bottom | Kingston House | Lynch | School | Scoles | Scott Arms | South Street | The Lane | Vicarage (old) | Wesleyan Chapel | West Street
West Street now starts at the eastern boundary of the old church higher graveyard and runs westward past the Scott Arms and the former Post Office up to the furthermost pathway to the new church opposite the cottage where the ‘White Gates’ once stood.
There were no mention of any street names in Kingston until the 1881 census when South Street only was listed. The 1901 census saw the addition of West Street and The Lane. The 1911 census saw a temporary blip when East Street made a guest appearance only to disappear thereafter.
Known former residents of West Street:
1 West Street:
- -1951: Alice Dorey
3 West Street:
- -1938: Gilbert Victor Dorey
- -1990: Winifred Brome
5 West Street:
- ?-1952: Walter Dorey
7 West Street:
Foreman’s Cottage, later number 2 West Street:
- ?-1985: Gerald & Lilian Loxston
10 West Street:
- -1967: Louise Hunt
- -1981: Elizabeth Henstridge
18 West Street:
- -1994: Ethel Charlotte Hunt
26 West Street:
- 1965-1969: Jim & Betty Griffiths – Jim worked for Colonel Scott on the Encombe Estate as a builder and general maintenance. before moving to Pink Cottage, Arne to work for David and Clover Scott.