The Eldon Seat was erected in October 1835 on the slope below Swyre Head.
The following extract is taken from ‘The Public and Private Life of Lord Chancellor Eldon’ by Horace Twiss:
In the course of this autumn, Lord Eldon and his daughter Lady Elizabeth erected a stone seat at Encombe, on a spot of rising ground near the sea, to the south of his house, on which he caused the following inscriptions to be placed, east, north, and west respectively :
“THE FIRST STONE OF THIS SEAT WAS LAID BY THE LADY E. REPTON, THE ELDER DAUGHTER OF THE FIRST EARL OF ELDON, XV. OCTOBER, MDCCCXXXV.**
A short distance away is another stone beneath which Lord Eldon’s favourite dog, Pincher, is buried.